Some things that I am learning from my Photo 365 project

DAY 056 - Reflection

Today marks DAY 100 of my Photo 365 project. It is amazing how you can achieve a big task by doing a little everyday. Below are some notes I made from my experience so far.
  • You will not always get that perfect photo and that is ok.
  • Practice makes you better. It really does. At the same time I remember this quote which has some wisdom in it.
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. -- Vince Lombardi
  • Don't only practice but practice better.
  • Don't rush the shot especially if you have the time.
  • Plan ahead sometimes.
  • Some shots forced me to use manual focus and controls which in turn makes me appreciate their usefulness. Normally I focus on composition, angle, lighting, framing and such and use presets.
  • I am liking manual focus when I do not have to wait for the camera to auto focus especially in some scenarios when the auto focus mechanism slows or can't.
  • Exposure compensation was useful when I could not get the right exposure otherwise.
  • If you want to get a nice shot of the stars and night sky, wait for it to get much darker and avoid areas with light pollution.
  • I wish there was a way to share camera presets - see my tweet here and let me know what you think.
  • Passion can keep you going and get you very far. I have a very old camera with kit lens, my S8+ was stolen, I live in a "boring" neighborhood and I am not able to go out a lot but I am learning that every and anything can make a good photograph.
  • Simple but complicated to photograph - saw this statement on instagram - so true. A simple looking photograph may not be simple to photograph at all.
  • Posting photos everyday to 500px (and social media) and watching the amount of pulse, views and likes is a nice feedback loop that helps me understand the things I am doing right and wrong.
  • Which leads to my next point. SOMETIMES the amount of views does not make sense to me. My most viewed photo on 500px is this portugal peel one (863 views) -  DAY 059 - Even good things come to an end. A reminder to me that views is not the only measure of success.
  • I feel like we can start using AI and machine learning to start rating photos.
  • Creativity, art, design will help with my web design and web development work.
  • In the end I will have a collection of photos to use otherwise. Example, I find myself using my photos with my poems.
  • Lastly, I discovered that I can make art with trash and I am really loving this idea. Local artist Shane Hanson Mohammed is my inspiration for this - @shanehansonstudios

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind is light. A photographer's journey.

One to ten

Colours